Friday, May 7, 2010

unconditional love

Since having Mary, God has taught me a lot about the way he loves us. It's easy for me to learn this way because I have her right here in front of me. Some days it takes a lot of effort to choose to keep on loving her. It takes a lot of effort to speak gently and kindly to her, although firmly sometimes:) But it's worth it. Why? Because I hope that she will see God's love through me. And that is the way God loves us. Through his choices. He chose to reveal his love to us through Jesus even though it was painful. Even though he probably wasn't in the mood to see his son go through what he had to do. I say that because I am rarely in the mood to see Mary in pain. Only when she's being really whiny;) But even then I have to remind myself that she was given to me as a gift. Thankfully God has really given me that heart for her: to see her as a gift even when she is not acting the way I would have her act. I wouldn't change a thing about her. And that is exactly how God feels about us. He loves us for who we are and not for who he wishes we would be. He is patient with us while he teaches us.

Jeremiah 31:3 says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness," and Romans 2:4 says "Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?" This is who God is. I'm so glad that I have a God who is patient and kind toward me. I want to be this way to my kids.

No comments: