Sunday, May 9, 2010

Unconditional love pt. 2

I wanted to share a couple things that I love about Ian:) He really cares about his students. So much so that he is willing to share the truth with them. They talk a lot about dating. Mostly because that's on most middle schoolers minds a lot (if not most people's minds), but also because they know how he feels about dating before you're ready for marriage. He's not for it.

Anyway, they always try to come up with reasons why you should date. Most are pretty funny. For example: to learn what you like and don't like in a person of the opposite sex. Our immediate thought is, 'Do you really need to date people in order to see what you like in people???' I mean I can tell you what you will want in a spouse and I don't have to date people to figure it out: real love, honesty, commitment, good communication skills, open communication, the same beliefs morally and spiritually, etc. Come on kids. Although I'm a little harsh, I thought Ian's response was a good one. He asked the kids what they were practicing by dating a bunch of different people. They were silent. He said, "You are practicing divorce. You are getting into the habit of ditching someone when you find something annoying or undesirable about them." This makes so much sense. You get good at what you practice!

Some of his students really begin to appreciate Ian sharing with them. I know he has an impact on their lives. And I know he shares in a way that makes kids feel they can talk to him because a lot of them have. He comes home with stories about kids who are just broken in two because of heartbreak and they can see how the road their on is leading no where. Granted, they are 14 and will get over it rather quickly, but it's still real to them. And I love how Ian validates them. God does the same for us. Psalm 33:17 says, "He made their hearts,so he understands everything they do." We have a God who understands us.

Finally, the other day Ian told his students that even if someone offered him a billion dollars he wouldn't divorce me:) I hope the guys in his class are paying attention and can become men like him someday.

No comments: