Monday, May 24, 2010

Great Reminder

I was reading my favorite parenting blog today and she reminded me of a wonderful principle: actions precede understanding. To give you the run down...you teach your children right behavior (actions) even before they understand why they should or shouldn't do things. This is why I don't give Mary what she wants unless she says please, let her throw balls in the house, let her jump around on furniture, stand on tables, or touch the fan in her room. The list could go on... the point is she doesn't understand why she can't do these things, but I do. Most of them are unsafe or the incorrect/irresponsible use of things in the house. Eventually I will be able to explain why so that she understands.

Even more important than in my parenting this reminded me of a spiritual truth. It is not always necessary to know WHY God has called me to something (or called me out of something else). The only thing I need to know is what he wants me to do and I should do it. Eventually I will be with him and things will make sense, but for now all I need to do is trust that he is able. I've even noticed in my life that I will see the purpose in things after I did them and will be full of wonder at what God did. I'll think I knew why I was doing something or going through something, but when it's all said and done God shows me even more why I had to go through it. So cool:)

No comments: