Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Thoughts that help me

When I'm sitting around thinking about the heartbreak and difficulties of Foster care, you know...trying to make myself feel better about the injustices of life, a couple thoughts help me:

First, if I didn't endure these things for and with J SOMEONE would have to. Someone has to love these kids. Someone has to take the hits for them, shelter them, teach them what it means to have someone really love them all at the greatest risk to self when you consider losing them. Our family is no more equipped to do this than most people but we chose to say yes. When we look at the gospel we see God looking at orphans and saying YES! I will choose you and I will make you my children even at great cost to myself. That is the good news. If you claim Jesus as lord there is no other answer when you look at an orphan besides yes! Now I'm not saying everyone needs to get up and adopt or foster a kid, but many more need to and many more need to at least do something for these kids. People think I'm kidding when I tell them J's mom is pregnant so a baby may need a home in a couple months, insinuating that home should be theirs. People just laugh it off mostly, but I'm not kidding. If not you then who?

Second, powerlessness can bring so much freedom. It reminds me of Jesus' words in Luke 12:
"And he said to his disciples, 'Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on...which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?'" 

We have no power over our life span. Only God has the power of life and death. But there is a freedom in our powerlessness. A freedom from worry. I am trying to apply that to foster care. I am powerless here. Why be anxious over something I have zero control over? Is my anxiety going to change the course of events? God is bigger than this system and he has J's life in the palm of his hands.

I hope those thoughts will help some other parent out there as well!












No comments: