Sunday, September 14, 2014

How God is so good to us

J's big happy smile
People don't really understand big families in America. Many worry about finances with lots of kids. They think they can't handle it because kids are too difficult. They think you can't possibly give enough attention to more than 2 kids, etc. I'm not going to address each of these concerns except to say that God calls children a reward, a heritage, a value to society, and he is bigger than any concern someone may have. If it is his plan for us to add to our family we will do it and trust that he is faithful. Now, I'm not saying that it is ALWAYS his plan for us to add...but when it is we want to trust him.

With that said...there will be another Lubbers joining the family in March! We are very excited for this little addition, but it was definitely a hard mental transition. We found out I am pregnant the day before we got J so it was a lot to absorb in 24 hours. It took a long time for that to sink in and I think it wasn't until I heard a heart beat that I really believed it!

Sometimes I think about how life is so hard right now and it's going to be even harder when we have a newborn. But I immediately remind myself that just because something is hard doesn't mean I shouldn't do it! In our culture we want things to come easy, we want to be happy, and we don't want to do anything that might make us sacrifice. I find that thought line creeping in every now and then and I have to remind myself of the truth found in scripture. Lately I've been returning over and over again to the very popular verses in Lamentations 3. The author is remembering the difficulties he has encountered in his life and then his writing shifts:
But this I call to mind,
    and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end;
 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”
This is what I say to my soul lately when I start to "claim my rights" to an easy life. God is my portion, great is his faithfulness:)

2 comments:

robyn said...

Congratulations, and well said!

Unknown said...

:)great people need to multiply!!