Saturday, October 6, 2012

Baby P

A couple weeks ago my close friend welcomed her second child into the world and I had the privilege of being there. A couple days before we had a false alarm and spent some time in triage. I think it was a good idea for her to go since she had never felt labor before (was induced the first time) and was a little nervous. That put her at ease and allowed her to sleep a little more soundly I'm sure the next few nights.

I got a call around 1230 AM that she was in labor for sure and they just wanted to keep me posted. Her husband described a few other things to me and it really sounded to me like she was progressing well and fast so I told him that I'd like to come. That was fine, but 5 minutes later I got another call, "heading to the hospital". So I hopped in the car and got another call a few minutes later. She feels a little "pushy". Yep, sounds normal. Baby time!

I arrived at the hospital and met one of the mother's friends who was coming to the birth as she was on her way up as well. We walked in to see a pretty calm mother on hands and knees, very much into her self and her labor. She was completely dilated on arrival (that's the third time it's happened with mom's I've worked with...I should start advertising that or something) but she wasn't quite pushing yet. I think baby was just working her way down and mom was letting her come slowly. Exactly what she should be doing! It was just great, and the staff was great even though the OB didn't make it in time (the second time that's happened with my clients...probably shouldn't advertise those odds). Literally 30 minutes later baby P arrived! She was perfect, healthy, beautiful, and caught by her daddy with skillful hands. I was so proud of my friends and impressed with the staff.

Although, the hospital midwife who was called in wanted to clamp and cut the cord right away. What is it with that? I feel like this has been a "thing" long enough that people should know better? Ah well. She promptly complied when she was made aware that they wanted to wait to cut the cord. Say what you will about Mercy hospital...I think it's been a great place to give birth and attend births! Of course they have dumb policies like everywhere else, but they can be navigated:)

Welcome baby P!

No comments: