Saturday, March 5, 2011

getting dressed

I have a book called Slow and Steady Get Me Ready! It has one activity each week for the first five years of life. The claim is that if you do these activities and also work on letters, phonics, and numbers, it is a solid preschool program and your child will be ready for kindergarten at age 5. We'll see!

The first activity we did is pictured below. I had Mary lay down and I traced her body outline onto a large piece of paper (the packing material from a recent amazon purchase). Then we embellished the face and I had her "put clothes" on the drawing Mary. She really liked it. I found myself getting frustrated with her a couple times and had to monitor my response. I want her to see these things as fun (which she did), but not be stressed out by my own impatience. She kept asking me to help her with the clothes but she hadn't really even tried. So I'd tell her to try again but I did have to help her some. I don't want her to get frustrated with the first activity. Overall I think it was good. She actually asked to do it again later in the day and went to get some clothes:)


No comments: